AAIM committees continue to work on critical issues that affect the organization and profession. AAIM and each membership organization maintain actively involved committees, task forces, and work groups committed to core focus areas of AAIM.
Please note that these updates are about AAIM's "working" committees; there are several other committees that address regulatory or oversight issues. For information about all of the Alliance's committees, please visit committees in the about section of the website.
Join a Committee
For more information about serving on an AAIM committee, please contact the AAIM office at (703) 341-4540 or email@example.com.
AAIM Education Committee
The AAIM Education Committee is charged to discuss and manage issues related to the accreditation of residency and fellowship training, standards for medical student education, milestones and enstrustable professional activities in UME and GME, develop programs and resources for members to manage these issues, and consider alternative approaches to training. Works in collaboration with the Innovation Center and the AAIM Research Committee to recommends studies that can be performed to address key educational issues.
Current AAIM Education Committee projects (as of December 2019):
- A Perspectives piece has been published on faculty development needs for the ambulatory clinician educator, which is based on the results of a survey centered on faculty recruitment, retention, and remuneration in GME.
- The Faculty Development Work Group is working towards additional resources for its Faculty Development Resources page.
Education Committee Roster
AAIM Research Committee
The AAIM Research Committee determines critical areas that affect research within the undergraduate and graduate medical education fields. The committee meets its directive through the fulfillment of the following goals:
- Advocate and promote opportunities for medical education research.
- Focus on ways to increase public and private support for basic, clinical, and health services research.
- Create practical materials and tools to promote research in department of internal medicine, as well as research careers.
Current AAIM Research Committee projects (as of December 2019):
- The Innovation Grants Program letters of intent submission process has closed and received 100 submissions. The subcommittee is currently reviewing proposals for the next application phase.
- The Physician-Scientist Post-Graduate Training Program Subcommittee is planning its 2020 Research Pathways Directors Workshop, which will take place in conjunction with AIMW20.
- The Population Health Subcommittee deployed a census that seeks to determine the extent to which faculty and trainees of US academic departments of medicine are actively engaged in research focused on health services and population health.
Research Committee Roster
AAIM Medical Student to Resident Interface Committee
The AAIM Medical Student to Resident Interface Committee is charged to develop programs and resources for faculty and staff responsible for preparing post-core internal medicine clerkship students for their transition from medical school to residency training; and monitor issues related to the transition from medical school to residency training.
Current AAIM Medical Student to Resident Interface Committee projects (as of December 2019):
- A manuscript centering on regional recruitment practices will be published in the Journal on Graduate Medical Education’s (JGME) December edition.
- Will host an AIMW20 discussion forum that would help refine their Sub-I Curriculum 2.0 pilot program.
Medical Student to Resident Interface Committee Roster
AAIM Resident to Fellow Interface Committee
The AAIM Resident to Fellow Interface Committee is charged to develop programs and resources for faculty and staff responsible for preparing internal medicine residents for their transition from residency to fellowship training; and monitor issues related to the transition from residency to fellowship.
Current AAIM Resident to Fellow Interface Committee projects (as of December 2019):
- The committee reviewed roughly 4,000 responses from a survey deployed via the APDIM online community that inquired residents’ viewpoint of the USMLE pass/fail discussion.
Resident to Fellow Interface Committee Roster
AAIM Competency-Based Education and Training Task Force
Current AAIM Competency-Based Education and Training Task Force projects (as of December 2019):
- Conducted a crowd-source exercise at the NRMP Transition to Residency Conference based on their qualitative study on how programs that employ a competency-based curriculum address the transition from UME to GME.
- Conducting thematic analysis of the meta-themes gleaned from their qualitative study.
AAIM Health Disparities Collaborative
Current AAIM Health Disparities Collaborative projects (as of December 2019):
- The collaborative has divided into five subgroups; patient experience, implicit bias, recruitment, advocacy, and quality improvement. The subgroups are working on producing deliverables.
APDIM Survey Committee
APDIM Survey Committee Update (as of May 2019):
- 2019 Spring Survey of Program Directors closed on April 24, with 279 complete responses, for a response rate of 71 percent. Individual survey responses were emailed to all respondents immediately after survey closure.
APDIM Survey Committee Roster
Anoop Agrawal, MD
Steven Angus, MD, FACP
Stephanie Call, MD
Jillian Catalanotti, MD, MPH, FACP
Karen Chacko, MD, FACP
Saima Chaudhry, MD
John Cmar, MD
Sanjay Desai, MD
Denise Dupras, MD, PhD
Kathleen Finn, MD
Kathlyn Fletcher, MD
Lisa Kearns, MD
Russ Kolarik, MD
Furman McDonald, MD
Kelly McGarry, MD
Alec O'Connor, MD, MPH
Shalini Reddy, MD, MHPE
Lawrence Reich, MD, PhD
Kelly Spielmann, MS, C-TAGME
Sara Swenson, MD
Sandhya Wahi-Gururaj, MD, MPH
Lisa Willett, MD MACM, FACP
Aimee Zaas, MD
CDIM Curriculum Task Force
Current CDIM Curriculum Task Force projects (as of December 2019):
- Volunteer members are finalizing the reviews of the clinical topics. The first phase of the curriculum will be shared and posted on the online community to elicit feedback from AAIM members. The task force is currently exploring online platform options.
- The task force is determining the topics for the second phase (core competencies) of the curriculum.
CDIM Survey and Scholarship Committee Roster
Irene Alexandraki, MD, MPH
Shobhina Chheda, MD, MPH
Camilla Curren, MD
Deborah DeWaay, MD
Mark Fagan, MD
Susan Glod, MD
Nadia Ismail, MD, MPH, MEd
Harish Jasti, MD
Cindy Lai, MD
Jeffrey LaRochelle, MD, MPH
Debra Leizman, MD, FACP
Nora Osman, MD
Clifford Packer, MD
Amber Pincavage, MD, FACP
Temple Ratcliffe, MD
Amy Shaheen, MD, MSc, FACP
Karen Szauter, MD
Katherine Walsh, MD