AAIM committees continue to work on critical issues that affect the organization and profession. AAIM and each membership organization maintain actively involved committees, task forces, and work groups committed to core focus areas of AAIM.
Please note that these updates are about AAIM's "working" committees; there are several other committees that address regulatory or oversight issues. For information about all of the Alliance's committees, please visit committees in the about section of the website.
Join a Committee
For more information about serving on an AAIM committee, please contact the AAIM office at (703) 341-4540 or email@example.com.
AAIM Education Committee
The AAIM Education Committee is charged to discuss and manage issues related to the accreditation of residency and fellowship training, standards for medical student education, milestones and enstrustable professional activities in UME and GME, develop programs and resources for members to manage these issues, and consider alternative approaches to training. Works in collaboration with the Innovation Center and the AAIM Research Committee to recommends studies that can be performed to address key educational issues.
Current AAIM Education Committee projects (as of October, 2018):
- The Ambulatory Work Group is finalizing its State of Ambulatory Faculty Recruitment, Retention, and Remuneration in Graduate Medical Education. The group will present a poster reflecting their findings at the APDIM Fall Conference.
- The Faculty Development Work Group reviewed all faculty development toolkit submissions. Panelists were contacted to revise certain elements of their modules prior to website posting.
Education Committee Roster
AAIM Research Committee
The AAIM Research Committee determines critical areas that affect research within the undergraduate and graduate medical education fields. The committee meets its directive through the fulfillment of the following goals:
- Advocate and promote opportunities for medical education research.
- Focus on ways to increase public and private support for basic, clinical, and health services research.
- Create practical materials and tools to promote research in department of internal medicine, as well as research careers.
Current AAIM Research Committee Projects (as of October 2018):
- The Innovation Grants’ Letter of Intent and Call for Project Coaches deadline has been extended.
- The Physician-Scientist Post-Graduate Training Program Subcommittee is developing its 2019 Research Pathways Directors Workshop agenda. A manuscript on training the physician-scientist will be submitted to JCI Insights for publication.
- The Resident Research Subcommittee has drafted a manuscript based on high-functioning residency programs that employ a research track.
- The committee leadership took part in this year’s Rally for Medical Research.
Research Committee Roster
AAIM Medical Student to Resident Interface Committee
The AAIM Medical Student to Resident Interface Committee is charged to develop programs and resources for faculty and staff responsible for preparing post-core internal medicine clerkship students for their transition from medical school to residency training; and monitor issues related to the transition from medical school to residency training.
Current AAIM Medical Student to Resident Interface Committee projects (as of October 2018):
- The committee is assessing the impact of the AAIM Guidelines for Residency Interview Scheduling through surveys of first-year resident, program directors, and IM program applicants.
- Work groups are preparing manuscripts related to the 2016 IM-ITE PD Survey and the 2017 APDIM Spring Survey. Members will present results at APDIM Fall Conference and ACGME Learn, Serve, Lead.
Medical Student to Resident Interface Committee Roster
AAIM Resident to Fellow Interface Committee
The AAIM Resident to Fellow Interface Committee is charged to develop programs and resources for faculty and staff responsible for preparing internal medicine residents for their transition from residency to fellowship training; and monitor issues related to the transition from residency to fellowship.
Committee Update (as of October, 2018):
- The Journal of Graduate Medical Education is reviewing RFIC’s manuscript on inappropriate interview communication.
- Two manuscripts will discuss survey results of career choice based on gender and applicant type differences.
- A work group is conducting a second follow-up survey to understand the impact of the AAIM fellowship guidelines for residency program directors.
- A work group of members from RFIC, ASP Council, and APDIM Council is developing recommendations for fellowship interview and post-interview communication.
Resident to Fellow Interface Committee Roster
APDIM Survey Committee
APDIM Survey Committee Update (as of October, 2018):
- 2018 Fall Survey of Program Directors opened August 1 and will remain open until early December.
APDIM Survey Committee Roster
Anoop Agrawal, MD
Steven Angus, MD, FACP
Stephanie Call, MD
Jillian Catalanotti, MD, MPH, FACP
Karen Chacko, MD, FACP
Saima Chaudhry, MD
John Cmar, MD
Sanjay Desai, MD
Denise Dupras, MD, PhD
Kathleen Finn, MD
Kathlyn Fletcher, MD
Lisa Kearns, MD
Russ Kolarik, MD
Furman McDonald, MD
Kelly McGarry, MD
Alec O'Connor, MD, MPH
Shalini Reddy, MD, MHPE
Lawrence Reich, MD, PhD
Kelly Spielmann, MS, C-TAGME
Sara Swenson, MD
Sandhya Wahi-Gururaj, MD, MPH
Lisa Willett, MD MACM, FACP
Aimee Zaas, MD
CDIM Survey and Scholarship Committee Roster
Irene Alexandraki, MD, MPH
Shobhina Chheda, MD, MPH
Camilla Curren, MD
Deborah DeWaay, MD
Mark Fagan, MD
Susan Glod, MD
Nadia Ismail, MD, MPH, MEd
Harish Jasti, MD
Cindy Lai, MD
Jeffrey LaRochelle, MD, MPH
Debra Leizman, MD, FACP
Nora Osman, MD
Clifford Packer, MD
Amber Pincavage, MD, FACP
Temple Ratcliffe, MD
Amy Shaheen, MD, MSc, FACP
Karen Szauter, MD
Katherine Walsh, MD